February 4, 2019
Black Bean Chili
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced (1 cup)
- 2 medium cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced (1/2 cup)
- 1 16-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium tomato cut into 2-inch pieces (1 cup)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup fat-free, low-salt chicken broth
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 4 ounces low-fat, honey-roasted ham, diced
- dash salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 loaf crusty sour dough bread
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1/2 ounce grated Monterey Jack cheese (2 tablespoons)
- 2 scallions, chopped (1/2 cup)
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute 3 minutes. Add garlic and red pepper. Saute more 3 minutes. Add black beans, tomatoes, corn, chili powder and cumin.
Mix tomato paste into chicken broth and mix into chili. Simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Add broccoli and ham and simmer 5 more minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Adjust seasonings as desired.
Warm bread in oven for 5 minutes. Slice and serve with chili.
Serve chili over rice and pass cheese and scallions to sprinkle on top.
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 20.0 g||30.8%|
|Saturated Fat 6.79 g||34%|
|Trans Fat 0.02 g|
|Cholesterol 45.97 mg||15.3%|
|Sodium 1609.26 mg||67.1%|
|Total Carbohydrate 197.62 g||65.9%|
|Dietary Fiber 34.54 g||138.2%|
|Sugars 18.38 g|
|Protein 66.06 g|
|Vitamin A 28.89 %||Vitamin C 100.25 %|
|Calcium 54.69 %||Iron 88.64 %|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.