- 13x9-inch pan
- mixing bowls
For the Cake:
- 1 1/2 cup sugar granulated
- 1/2 cup butter softened, room temperature
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 1 large banana mashed
- 1 1/4 cup buttermilk room temperature
- 1 tablespoon banana extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For Decorating the Cake:
- 1 cup strawberry frosting homemade or storebought
- 2 large bananas sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup pineapple tidbits drained
- 1 cup maraschino cherries drained
- 1/4 cup chocolate sauce
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- Cream together the sugar butter, eggs and banana. Add the buttermilk, banana extract and oil. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt.
- Using a spatula and gently mixing by hand, add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients a little at a time, mixing until just combined after each addition. The batter should be smooth and completely combined, but avoid over mixing.
- Pour into prepared (greased and floured) 9x13 inch baking pan. Bake at 350°F, for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.
To Assemble and Decorate
- Spread Strawberry frosting across cake once completely cooled.
- Slice bananas and toss to coat in lemon juice (to keep them from browning quickly.)
- Place banana slices, pineapple tidbits and maraschino cherries on top of cake. Sprinkle walnuts across cake. Drizzle chocolate sauce across entire cake.
Nutritional values listed may vary from final results depending on actual measurements and brands used to prepare the recipe.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!