12 August, 2014
16 Bean Soup
- 1 package sixteen-bean soup mix
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon oregano -- crushed
- 2 cans no-fat chicken stock
- Additional water to cover beans
- 3 stalks celery stalks -- chopped
- 3 carrots -- diced
- 1 large onion -- chopped
- 3 garlic cloves -- sliced
- 1 pound turkey Italian sausage -- sliced
- 2 cans stewed (or diced) tomatoes
Combine first 5 ingredients (liquid should cover mixture by 1 to 2 inches) in crock pot. Cook on HIGH for 2 hours.
Add remaining ingredients and shift cooker to LOW and cook for an additional 3 hours.
For more zing, add cayenne or crushed red pepper when adding second set of ingredients.
Serve as complete meal or over rice.
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 25.18 g||38.7%|
|Saturated Fat 8.86 g||44.3%|
|Cholesterol 69.69 mg||23.2%|
|Sodium 1690.75 mg||70.4%|
|Total Carbohydrate 18.32 g||6.1%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.73 g||14.9%|
|Sugars 5.35 g|
|Protein 15.08 g|
|Vitamin A 30.5 %||Vitamin C 15.99 %|
|Calcium 9.25 %||Iron 13.16 %|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.