Pin Recipe Rate Recipe
Zhug - Hot Sauce
- 6 dried chilies soaked for at least 1 hour
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 bunch cilantro stemmed and washed
- 1 bulb garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fenugreek seed soaked for at least 1 hour
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
Blend the chilies with the spices, cilantro, garlic, and salt until you obtain a fine paste. Add the fenugreek and tomato paste, if using.
Store in a small jar in the fridge, and use within 2 weeks. Great as a dip for bread, or to spice up soups and pasta.
Makes 2 pints (8 cups or 32 one-quarter cup servings)
Nutritional values listed may vary from final results depending on actual measurements and brands used to prepare the recipe.
Yemeni Fire Relish
Amount per Serving
% Daily Value*
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.