19 November, 2019
Savory Oatmeal Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups white whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon crumbled dried sage
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons old-fashioned rolled oats, divided
- 2 tablespoons grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 3 ounces Canadian bacon, diced
- cooking spray
Preheat oven to 375°F.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and sage.
In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the oats with cheese.
In a large bowl, stir together buttermilk and remaining oats and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes to let the oats soften.
Stir in brown sugar, egg and butter until combined. Add dry ingredients and stir just until moistened; fold in diced bacon.
Evenly divide the batter between the wells of a 12 cup muffin tin lightly coated with nonstick spray. Sprinkle tops with oat-cheese mixture.
Bake until lightly browned and a toothpick placed in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, about 18 to 20 minutes. Remove and let stand for 5 minutes before transferring the muffins to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Makes 12 muffins.
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 7.17 g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 3.47 g||17.4%|
|Trans Fat 0.19 g|
|Cholesterol 32.91 mg||11%|
|Sodium 241.45 mg||10.1%|
|Total Carbohydrate 22.71 g||7.6%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.22 g||8.9%|
|Sugars 7.63 g|
|Protein 6.42 g|
|Vitamin A 5.57 %||Vitamin C 0.36 %|
|Calcium 7.12 %||Iron 5.53 %|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn commissions from qualifying purchases made through the following links.