Pin Recipe Rate Recipe
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups yellow onions diced
- 1/4 cup shallots sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups mushroom stock or rich chicken stock; fat removed
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme minced or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano minced or 1/2 cup minced celery
- 1 cup leeks; both white and tender green parts
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons chives minced
In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the onions, shallots and garlic and saute until they just begin to color. Transfer half of the onion mixture to a blender or food processor. Puree and return to the pan. Add the wine, bay leaf and stock and simmer for 10 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper. (The soup base may be prepared in advance to this point and stored refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen indefinitely and reheated before finishing.) Just before serving, add the thyme, oregano, celery, leeks and sherry to the hot soup base.
Bring to a simmer and simmer for 2 minutes. Do not overcook, the vegetables should retain their crunchy texture. Remove the bay leaf, stir in the chives.
Yield: 8 serving
Nutritional values listed may vary from final results depending on actual measurements and brands used to prepare the recipe.
Five Lilies Chowder
Amount per Serving
% Daily Value*
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.