Save to BigOven
Pin Recipe Rate Recipe
- 4 cups buttermilk
- 2 oz. yeast
- 3/4 cup dark syrup
- 2 tablespoons orange peel grated
- 1/2 tablespoon caraway seeds roughly ground
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 cups rye flour about 3 cups
- 1 1/2 cups graham flour
- 4 cups white flour about 4 cups
Warm up the buttermilk. Crumble in the yeast and add the syrup and spices.
Mix in the flour and knead thoroughly. Cover with a cloth and leave to rise. If the kitchen is drafty, stand the covered bowl in warm water.
Divide the dough into three and shape each portion into a round loaf. Put in a warm place to rise.
Preheat oven to 400°F. Prick with a fork before placing in the oven. Bake 15 minutes, reduce heat to 375°F and bake 30 to 45 minutes
Oven temperature: 400°
Nutritional values listed may vary from final results depending on actual measurements and brands used to prepare the recipe.
Amount per Serving
% Daily Value*
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.