2 cups heavy cream
1/4-cup buttermilk or sour cream
Combine cream and buttermilk in a sterile jar with a tight-fitting lid. Shake to combine and let stand at room temperature until thickened, 24-48 hours.
Shake gently, then chill until ready to use (it will continue to thicken as it chills).
Crème fraîche keeps in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Top 6 ways to use Crème Fraîche
1. Whisk crème fraîche into a brown sauce before serving – it tolerates high heat without curdling.
2. Combine crème fraîche with a little honey and vanilla extract to enhance the flavor of the fruit.
3. Top roast beef with a mixture of horseradish, Worcestershire sauce, chives, and crème fraîche.
4. When cold crème fraîche hits hot off-the-grill vegetables, it melts, creating an instant sauce.
5. For a party appetizer, top Crostini with smoked salmon, red onion, capers, fresh dill, and crème fraîche.
6. Use crème fraîche to make creamy salad dressings, such as the classic Green Goddess dressing.
Yield: 2 cups
Kate Aspen “Vintage” Milk Favor Jar, Set of 12